Eleazer Carver (1785-1866) was a lineal descendant of one of the first settlers of the Plymouth Colony and was born in Bridgewater. After the War of 1812 Carver, Artemas Hale and Nathaniel Washburn started the firm Carver, Washburn and Company and built a cotton gin mill near Carver Pond off Summer Street. In 1833 he planted in front of his home the four elm trees that were soon chained together to create a “four-legged” tree.
Bridgewater State Normal School and College Postcards
"Four-legged tree, Bridgewater, Mass." (digitized 2010). Bridgewater Image Gallery. Image 37.
Available at: http://vc.bridgew.edu/bridgewater_images/37
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.