The “four-legged” tree was planted in 1833 by Eleazer Carver in front of his home on Summer Street. The tree—actually four elm trees chained together to form an arch—was a well-known town landmark until they were destroyed by Dutch elm disease in the 1950s.
Bridgewater State Normal School Historical Photographs
"Four-legged tree, Bridgewater" (digitized 2011). Bridgewater Image Gallery. Image 40.
Available at: https://vc.bridgew.edu/bridgewater_images/40
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.